Tuesday, January 8, 2008

MORE ON THE ART OF SELF CONTROL




Yikes! Now if that doesn't look like the hound from Hell, I don't know what does. This is Joule on a down, waiting to be released so she can have dinner. She has to lie on this mat with her elbows on the floor, nice and still and quiet. Not an easy feat for a hot rod! Note the flews pulled flat in disgust and impatience.


I waited to ask this of her until I was sure she understood what was expected when she was asked to stay. Her stay was not yet consistent but I could see the comprehension was there. Interestingly, this has proven to be an excellent method of very rapidly improving her stays. I never thought about it before but I suppose the reason dogs struggle with the command (once they understand it) is, in many instances, just a lack of the ability to control themselves when faced with distractions and/or urges to do something else. I am thrilled with the progress she is making and also, how this crazed, frenetic little beast is teaching me more and more about the secret ways of a dog's mind.


No comments: